Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Exploring the botanical gardens of Ojai. Winter 2014

Having just arrived from Utah in January 2014, California seemed like a great place to explore my passion in plants and gardening.
During my visit I was told about a botanical garden and hiking area in the Lake Casitas watershed, adjacent to the Los Padres National Forest.

After conducting a Google search I discovered a blog article posted by the Conejo Garden Club describing their 2012 visit to the Taft Ojai Gardens.

Contrary to what I read,  it is owned by the non-profit Conservation Endowment Fund which I contacted at (805) 649-2333 as the garden is open by invitation only.

The gardens were found at the end of a long paved road 
(De La Garrique Road).


After passing by two private ranches and travelling through live oak forests under shaded canopies, I arrived at The Conservation Endowment Fund Nature Preserve, also known as the Taft-Ojai Botanical Gardens.


Visitor information and sign-in station 



I discovered an amazing collection of South African and Australian flora comprised of many rare species and magnificent specimens!


A rare Queen Protea



 A King Protea

Rare Golden Barrels from Mexico


Mature and handsome Australian Grass Trees which I was told to be the finest collection in the world



Marvelous Tree Aloes

It was nice to see local artists using the garden for their subjects.


Well maintained trails lead you from one garden to another. 



"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." --Aristotle

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the most spectacular gardens I have ever seen. In fact, the word 'garden' hardly describes its beauty of diversity and awe inspiring "ooo's and ah's" at almost every turn. It is truly a visionary work of living art. Kudos to the planner, a gentle man ,who my sister & me, were fortunate enough to meet on one of the paths. He gave us quite a bit of the garden's history from creation in the early 80's to date. A true labor of love.

    ReplyDelete